Re: flash and firefox revisited

From: <eculp_at_bafirst.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:01:47 -0600
Quoting Scott Robbins <scottro_at_nyc.rr.com>:

> Although somewhat off-topic for CURRENT, when we had a discussion about
> this last week, and I mentioned that flash worked well for me with
> linux-firefox, a few people asked how I did it.  At the time, I had set
> it up awhile back, and didn't really remember the details.
>
> At any rate, set up a new machine this week, so this is how I got flash
> working with linux-firefox.
>
> Rather than using the port, I downloaded the firefox for Linux tarball
> from mozilla at
>
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5.0.1/linux-i686/en-US/
>
> I untarred it in my $HOME directory where it created a directory called,
> oddly enough, firefox.  In the firefox directory is a shell executable
> called--yup, you guessed it, firefox.
>
> So, I started it from command line, with firefox/firefox and went to a
> site that needed flash--I got the message that flash needed to be
> installed, would I like firefox to install it for me, I clicked yes.  It
> then simply downloaded and installed flash7 putting it in
> $HOME/firefox/plugins.
>
> After that, it Just Works(TM)
>
> I have linux_base-8 installed.

That works fine for me too, but I haven't been able mplayer or any
other video plugin to work with linux firefox, have you?

So right no I am left with native firefox with nice embedded video and
linux-firefox with flash, not yet the best of both worlds, in fact, I
could probably live with only one world ;)

Thanks,

ed