Re: Build option survey

From: John E Hein <jhein_at_timing.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:03:01 -0700
Darren Pilgrim wrote at 18:31 -0800 on Mar 27, 2006:
 > Right, but these are make.conf options so they'll be present in the
 > environment for both regardless of if/how they're used in either target.
 > Why run tests with inconsistent environments?

There are cases where one might want to build one subset of
FreeBSD and install another.  Typically the install subset
is entirely contained within the build subset.  For instance,
one might not want to install gcc on a 16 MB target.

In these cases we're more concerned with the space savings
in the installworld column.

Nevertheless, it's still nice to know what kind of space savings one
gets due to the different buildworld knobs.  This is useful for
chroot/jail size allocation planning.

Also... you don't have to put these options in make.conf (or more
recently src.conf).  You can pass them on the command line or in your
environment.  There are numerous ways to pass one set of options to
buildworld and another to installworld.