Re: away

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:55:28 +0200
David Xu <davidxu_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> the past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this
> includes kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries
> later, and gdb support for these new thread libraries from kernel to
> userland everywhere, spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and
> later make libthr to be best performance library for mysql and
> possible other applications developed on Linux and make it run on
> most platforms we current support.

I've been reading and re-reading the relevant threads on -threads,
-current and -developers.  The more I read, the less I understand.

At the tail end of two days spent immersed in libthr, I sniped at you
on -committers.  That was wrong.  I understand that you were insulted.
I compounded my mistake by not apologizing immediately.  I'm not
trying to defend that.

To spell it out plainly, for the record: David, what I wrote to you on
-committers was unfair and unprofessional, and I apologize.

However, I do not understand how things developed from there.  I tried
to start a technical discussion with you on -threads, explaining what
I thought was wrong with libthr, hoping that you would understand my
concerns, and hoping to work with you to correct and improve the code.
This did not work out.  Perhaps you had already made up your mind to
leave; perhaps you were too hurt to read anything but insult into
anything I wrote.

I am not trying to rush you, as you implied, and I would not commit my
patch without your approval; if I did, I'd be out on my arse faster
than you can say "backout war", and with good reason.

My initial impulse was to tell you to grow a thicker skin.  I'm not
going to say that, because it's stupid and insensitive.  What I'm
going to say, instead, is this: I am only one of several hundred
FreeBSD developers.  I have no special position or authority in the
project.  My opinion of your work is not representative of that of
other committers or of the project as a whole.  What's more, while I
may disagree with some of the choices you made in the course of your
work, I do not disapprove of your work in general.  You should not
view my criticism of the umtx interface as more than what it is:
criticism of one small part of your work from one single developer.

In closing, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your decision to leave
the project.  I don't think it's in anybody's interest to have you
leave; and whatever you may think of me, it was certainly not what I
intended when I started looking at libthr.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no