Re: lpt0 disappear (ppc related)

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 22:27:43 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <200605020815.31012.doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
            "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> writes:
: On Tuesday 02 May 2006 01:23, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : However you wouldn't expect that using it as a module would result in
: > : reduced functionality. (The same as how you wouldn't expect compiling
: > : something into your kernel would result in reduced functionality)
: >
: > At the same time, you'd expect it to behave like every other 'bus' in
: > the tree.  We omit the attachments for drivers to that bus when the
: > kernel is built w/o that bus.  This is why if you have, say, ep in the
: > kernel, but pccard loaded as a module, the 3c589 you just inserted
: > into the pccard slot won't work.
: >
: > It is a minor imperfection in the config system that no one has taken
: > on as a Problem To Solve.  Solving it turns out to be somewhat tricky.
:
: Hmm, but I load acpi as a module and get acpi attachments.. (for sio and ppc)
:
: <shrugs> it's black magic to me anyway :)
:
: I didn't mean to belittle Marcel's work, I was just suprised that it would
: cause a functionality loss like that.

I think it just points out a weakness in the underlying system...

Warner