Re: playing with qemu's 8139 nic and FreeBSD (loopback mode missing?

From: Igor Kovalenko <garrison_at_mail.ru>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 00:38:06 +0400
Hi Juergen,

Juergen Lock wrote:
> [Cc'ing glebius_at_ because he did most of the recent re(4) commits, and
> -current in case possible other driver developers didn't see this thread
> in -emulation]
>
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 07:46:07AM +0400, Igor Kovalenko wrote:
>> Juergen Lock wrote:

>>>  :)

>>>  Thanks, that seems to get the rl driver going.  Now to fix C+ mode
>>> (re driver) change the #if 0 in my patch to #if 1...
>>>

>> I believe freebsd re driver is somewhat broken, e.g. it does not follow documented
>> procedure to detect hardware features (e.g. 8139 c+ mode)
>
> Hmm, a bit of googling didn't reveal docs about this, do you have
> a pointer?  (I only found the data sheet at
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/RealTek/spec-8139cp(150).pdf
> which doesnt seem to mention detecting c+ hardware specifically)

Well, I might have misread some docs; please do not consider this as an assault :)
I remember PCI rev id >= 0x20 is C+ mode for realtek 8139.

>>  and in tries to use 8169
>> registers (e.g. 0xda) on 8139 hardware etc.
>
>  Oh, then it must have mis-detected the nic as a 8169 because
> the code in question reads:
>
>         if (sc->rl_type == RL_8169)
>                 CSR_WRITE_2(sc, RL_MAXRXPKTLEN, 16383);
>> Therefore some action from driver people is needed; I can provide a patch which
>> enables board timer in rtl8139 emulation (and thus enables hardware timeout
>> events) if you need it.
>
>  Yeah I guess that would be useful...

Please find rtl8139.c.freebsd.timer.diff attached hereto.
The diff contains part of your changes to chip identification so re driver
does see it as C+ mode chip. Timer support is added (and there is no kpanic now),
though the specs require it to be clocked with PCI bus; that is somewhat hard
to achieve. Common qemu timer is of much lower resolution; doing it differently
will require some effort.

--
Kind regards,
Igor V. Kovalenko