Re: Fine-grained locking for POSIX local sockets (UNIX domain sockets)

From: Sven Petai <hadara_at_bsd.ee>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 23:27:22 +0300
On Sunday 07 May 2006 22:16, you wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 10:00:41PM +0300, Sven Petai wrote:
> > The results in my mail were mean values over 2 runs,
> > only once did I see really huge (more than 10%) differences between
> > several subsequent runs with same settings, this case was clearly
> > mentioned in the results.
>
> FYI, 2 is not really enough, you should do at least 10 repetitions of
> each test to reduce variance (which can be a lot, despite what you
> saw!) and so that differences between them can be accurately
> estimated.  Ministat is really helpful for this.

I'm well aware that 2 is not enough for quality measurements and
I certainly would have liked to do more repetitions, but I was running against
a clock - this machine might be shipped out to client any
time and I wanted to test several combinations of OS [fbsd 6, fbsd current,
current + watsons patch, linux] with different threading library and
scheduler combinations at different thread counts and nice values.
This creates nice combinatorial explosion.

Even a single run on one OS ver + one of the schedulers with 2 repetitions of
each test takes about 2 hours, so I had to make some compromises.

But i believe the trends are clear enough from these results and while I
certainly can't say anything about <~5% performance changes what we see are
consistent trends and 20%+ performance differences.