Re: kbdmux oddity ?

From: Emil Mikulic <emil_at_cs.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:03:36 +1000
On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 05:01:30PM -0700, Pascal Hofstee wrote:
> I recently decided to add kbdmux support to my default kernel config
> since i noticed at times that upon kernel panics and similar events my
> USB keyboard goes dead.
>
> Today i got to actually installing a kbdmux enabled kernel and came to
> the conclusion that even though keys like Capslock, Numlock and
> Scrolllock perform the functions they're supposed to do, the keyboard
> leds seem to arbitrarily decide wether or not they want to toggle
> on/off.
>
> on console i noticed that usually after hitting e.g. caps lock a few
> times the leds decdide to "work with me again" and toggle on/off
> accordingly .. until i hit any actual textual input .. at which point
> the previous eratic behavior has resurfaced.
>
> Similar problems exist in X as well ... though seem to be even more
> eratic there.
>
> Removing kbdmux from my kernel seems to restore normality again.
>
> Am i the only one seeing these problems ?

I'm seeing a similar (but different?) problem - I get an interrupt storm
every time I hit Caps Lock or Num Lock, or flip VTs in text mode.  If
XMMS is running, the music skips.

Normally, if I'm hitting letter keys, I never see any irq1: atkbd0
interrupts.  If I bounce on the Caps Lock, I can get it as high as
72/sec.

Running top(1), I can get system time up to about 50% by pounding away
at Caps Lock.  Normal typing doesn't affect the system time much, it
fluctuates between 0% and 1%.

This is with 7-CURRENT, GENERIC, on x86, from yesterday.  And it's on a
Dell GX280 with a USB keyboard.  I've seen similar issues on a Dell
Poweredge SC430, again with a USB keyboard.

--Emil