Re: HEADSUP: Alpha support is being retired in 7.0

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:30:35 -0700
> From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
> Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:24:03 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Alpha was the first non-x86 port that was added to FreeBSD, and as such it has
> greatly aided the efforts to keep FreeBSD from being too i386-centric.
> However, recently the Alpha port has not had any active development or
> maintenance.  As a result, the quality of the Alpha releases that the Project
> provides are not on par with other supported architectures and is in fact
> degrading.  Unfortunately, as an architecture it has also been killed by its
> creator.

I'd say to was killed by its owner. It's creator (corporate) no longer
exists and its creators (designers) are very sad at its demise. It was
an amazing design for its time and could have been a powerful force in
hardware with anything that resembled reasonable marketing.

(Sorry for the digression. The Alpha was very dear to me and, while not
a designer, I knew some of them.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)