Re: update to RELENG_6 fails

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:41:45 -0700
Mars G. Miro wrote:

> For the record, I've successfully updated a 5.4X to 6.1R w/o a hitch.
> I don't think you need to go to 5-stable if you want 6.X. Most apps
> will even still work and dont need to be recompiled.

As happy as I am to hear that, if you'd read the section in UPDATING that I
was referring to, you'd have seen:

    When upgrading from one major version to another it is generally
    best to upgrade to the latest code in the currently installed branch
    first, then do an upgrade to the new branch. This is the best-tested
    upgrade path, and has the highest probability of being successful.
    Please try this approach before reporting problems with a major
    version upgrade.

Which clearly applies to the situation at hand.

Please move this conversation to freebsd-stable.

hope this helps,

Doug