Re: HEADSUP: Alpha support is being retired in 7.0

From: <freebsd-alpha_at_infopuls.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:17:34 +0200
Hi folks,

a couple of weeks ago a professional FreeBSD supporter managed to bring my
PWS500a up to work with 4.11 after many failing attempts by myself. Some of
you may remember that I posted a few questions about this machine to this
list. Since then I'm using the machine as server and I'm very happy with it.

Of course, I regret that the Alpha branch is not continued in FreeBSD
development because I intend to use this and some other Alpha boxes that I
plan to buy for many years. I like the Alpha architecture and I got the
impression that most of the higher level problems like seg-faults in Mozilla
on Alpha are caused by dirty programming techniques or bugs in the C
compiler related to 64 Bit addressing. Cleaning up such problems would
result in better code for the other architectures also.

Nevertheless: Thank you very much for FreeBSD/Alpha so far!

Ulrich