Re: Shared library version bump?

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 23:19:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 21 May 2006, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Daniel Eischen wrote:

>>> I assume htat EVENTUALLY we will bump numbers again when something
>>> sufficiently
>>> big needs to be done to the ABI.
>>

>> Symbol versioning is suppose to allow one library to support different
>> ABIs, so the hope is that we will never have to bump libc's version
>> number.  If you change ABI, you still have to keep the old code around
>> (or some sort of compatability shims) in the library.
>>
> yes but that could get too big  a drain on resources oftetr  while (trying ot
> shim really old
> stuff into really new stuff.) It might eventually get to a point where it
> would be good
> to cut and run..

You can never say never, but we need to better maintain our ABI.
I believe Solaris has had one only version of libc from day one
(Solaris, not the BSD-derived SunOS).

I can see bumping libc version number again if, for instance, we
were to move the resolver stuff into libresolv, or something
like that.

--
DE