Re: FreeBSD's embedded agenda

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:36:09 +0200
In message <4475E99C.5000502_at_nortel.com>, "Andrew Atrens" writes:

>Seems to me you'd want a kernel that could boot off raw
>flash and run in RAM off a small RAM disk.
>
>Said kernel would have a low level driver that makes plain
>old flash chips look (and behave) like a disk. It would support
>wear-levelling, [...]
>
>Then you could throw FFS on top of that.

This is exactly what you do not want to do.

You want to write a flash friendly filesystem which knows what
a flash is, and which does the wear levelling internally.

The reason Flash Adaptation Layers came about in the first place
is that W95 didn't support anything but FAT.

Don't propagate that mistake.