RE: FreeBSD's embedded agenda

From: James Mansion <james_at_wgold.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 23:55:20 +0100
>FreeBSD is a great operating system for embedded use and people
>all over the world use this to their advantage.

This is really nice to see.  I'd also urge you to widen it to
a more general 'customised constrained boot environment' though,
even if teh focus is quite different.

The sort of thing I'd be interested in would be PXE-booting
a 'bootstrap system' with minimalist facilities, then mounting
drives from iSCSI (or NFS, CIFS etc) and extending to have a more
complete but still highly customised environment, whether to
support compute blades or diskless workstations (using the
wonderful nVidia and ATI hardware support that Linux will
by then lack, ha ha ;-)).

Its this first stage where you can get up and running that I
think might share some of the same issues.

James