RE: FreeBSD's embedded agenda

From: James Mansion <james_at_wgold.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 06:50:43 +0100
>Might want to re-think your argument in terms of a system with 32MB
>of ram
>and 4MB of NAND or NOR flash.

Why?  You have enough RAM to have a small memory disk for writable
stuff.

Presumably the device does not run an application that expects to
write data except occassional status stuff.  I'm assuming a small
number of kilobytes for this.  And you can force a status dump
out when you need to.

BNormally I'd expect readonly-root, but sometimes you want to
be 'readonly except when I want to save a change in config',
right?  You're not going to run squid caches off a flash,
wear levelling or not.