Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 23:48:44 -0700
marty fouts wrote:

> I dunno. If you follow this to its logical conclusion, since most
> people don't compile anything, there's no reason for *any* compiler to
> be in the base system.
>
> (removes tongue from cheek)

Couple of observations. First, what you said here is not nearly as
ridiculous as you seem to think it is. One of the first things I do when I
want to harden a system for use in the wild is remove the toolchain. Second,
FWIW I support the removal of fortran if it will make the GCC import (a
painful and difficult process at best) easier to do and maintain.

Finally, the lack of civility and respect in this thread is appalling. If
you find yourself getting so worked up about any topic on any FreeBSD list
that you feel the need to be rude and use foul language; step away from the
keyboard, get out of the house, go breathe some fresh air, etc. Seriously.

Doug