Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:18:11 -0700
On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 04:55:50PM -0400, Alain Hebert wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
> >Andrew R. Reiter wrote:
> >

> >>Scripps Institute of Oceanography
> >
> >Obviously a bunch of amateurs who don't really know what they want
> >or what they are doing.
>
>    (We cannot expect everybody to be adult enought to get how to use
> this mailing-list.)

Scott was obviously placing his tongue in his cheek.

>    The obvious reason was stated before that gFortran was not bug free

Do you think gcc-3.4.4 is bug free?  Or gcc-4.1.1?  Or FreeBSD?

> and, in view of the importer, it would be best to have gFortran in ports
> until the fortran community voice their opinion about which
> implementations is the best one.

Actually, kan made the very good point that gfortran requires GMP and
MPFR.  Importing these libraries for gfortran support would be
a mistake.  Afterall,  GMP was in the base at one point in time
and it was removed.

>    Also, if there is no maintainer for a port, it ease the decision
> about which one to keep without having to get in a language/religion war.

A port for gfortran is maintained, so this isn't an issue.  Additionally,
I'm listed as a gfortran maintainer and I almost exclusively use
FreeBSD, so gfortran orphaning FreeBSD won't happen.

--
Steve