Re: Freeze due to performance_cx_lowest=LOW

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar_at_comp.chem.msu.su>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:31:45 +0400
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 01:10:07PM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >A while ago I installed CURRENT on my new home PC and noticed that
> >the system would hang hard at the boot time soon after setting
> >cx_lowest to C3 according to the LOW setting in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> >The last message on the console was each time: Mounting NFS file
> >systems:.  Setting performance_cx_lowest to HIGH made the problem
> >go away.
> >
> >Now I've just tried again to return performance_cx_lowest to its
> >modern default setting in a fresh CURRENT and found that the bug
> >is still there.  Is it due to my ACPI HW being broken?  I'll be
> >glad to show relevant debug output from my ACPI if told how to get
> >it.  Thanks.
> >

> disable apic (hint.apic.0.disabled="1").  I isolated this a little while
> ago to the change to enable LAPIC timer.  However, there is currently no
> easy way to disable the LAPIC timer with APIC enabled so you have to
> disable APIC.  jhb_at_ and I have been discussing how to do this better but
> no easy answers apparently.

Thank you for your reply!

As I reported in <20060529085723.GA98288_at_comp.chem.msu.su>, this
way of disabling apic didn't work in my case for some reason although
I had triple checked the line in device.hints.  The only mention
of apic in the output from sysctl -a was there irrespective of the
setting in device.hints: "hw.apic.enable_extint: 0".  Perhaps my
system has no apic at all?

Nevertheless, removing "device apic" from the kernel changed things
in a way, but C3 still was unusable and the system would go to C2
after detecting too many short sleeps by cpu0, which was described
in the said message, too.

--
Yar