Use of the audit subsystem

From: Derek Tattersall <dlt_at_mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:11:39 -0400 (EDT)
I recently installed the audit code on my current system.  It comes up
and works fine, the logs rotate properly and all is copacetic.  Now I
would like to develop audit policies for a few typical installations.

1) Departmental server.  Serves files, mail, web proxies and
   application proxies.  What are the appropriate events to audit to
   enhance the IT security in an environment that probably doesn't
   have an IT staff.
2) Workstation.  Used as an application client, with e-mail, web and
   network services.  Probably has access to printers and file
   servers.  Is potentially exposed to spam and malware.
3) Routers and infrastructure servers.  Provide network services,
   DHCP, network address translation, routing, PXE, proxies etc.
   How best to audit this box.

For each of these types of IT provider, we need to monitor activity
for security purposes first, and perhaps also for cost accounting.
The audit daemon provides records with varying degrees of importance.
How should we separate and report so as to achieve the timeliness that
we need.

I'm trying to put together a white paper on the use of auditing to
complement the excellent installation and operation information in the
Handbook.  All suggestions are welcome.

--
Best regards,
Derek Tattersall