Re: libpthread shared library version number

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 00:41:57 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Alexander Kabaev wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 19:38:41 -0500 (EST)
> Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I have noticed that libpthread shared library version number in
>>> 6-STABLE and 7-CURRENT is the same (.2), which causes all threaded
>>> application compiled for 6-STABLE to segfault when executed on
>>> 7-CURRENT system, unless libpthread.so.2 is replaced with with its
>>> 6-STABLE version which in turn will create problems with threaded
>>> apps compiled for 7-CURRENT. IMHO we should increase version number
>>> in 7-CURRENT, so that it is in the line of what we have for other
>>> system libraries.
>>
>> It should be done as part of a larger set of library version bumps.
>> All libraries should be bumped.  I believe kan and kensmith were
>> suppose to be looking at that.  We wanted to enable symble versioning
>> by default, so all libraries would need to be bumped.
>>

> I never indicate that I was going to do anything regarding version
> bumps and I still have no plans whatsoever to do so. It probably does
> not make sense to do anything until we have a new GCC in the tree.
> Just a note to someone who is brave enough to volunteer for the task.

I believe you were away for a couple of weeks a few months ago
and responded to an email regarding symbol versioning and library
bumping.  You said you wanted kensmith to wait until you got back
and took a closer look.  I forget the exact context and don't
have the saved email.  I _think_ it had something to do with
symbol version dependencies not getting recorded in shared libraries,
or something related to that.  I also _think_ you said you had
some changes in the pipe to fix that.  But I could be remembering
wrong.  I wish I had the old email...

--
Dan