Re: libpthread shared library version number

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:50:35 -0800
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 04:07:38PM -0800, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I have noticed that libpthread shared library version number in 6-STABLE
>> and 7-CURRENT is the same (.2), which causes all threaded application
>> compiled for 6-STABLE to segfault when executed on 7-CURRENT system,
>> unless libpthread.so.2 is replaced with with its 6-STABLE version which
>> in turn will create problems with threaded apps compiled for 7-CURRENT.
>> IMHO we should increase version number in 7-CURRENT, so that it is in
>> the line of what we have for other system libraries.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>
> Last time we bumped them was right before 6.0-RELEASE; we did it
> both in HEAD and RELENG_6.  We certainly should be bumping them
> all again closer to a 7.0-RELEASE, when the RELENG_7 is about to
> be created.  If we bump some majors now, and break APIs later but
> still before a release (we are allowed to do it in -CURRENT), we
> would have to bump them again before a release, and because it's
> probably hard to track all changes we will unconditionally bump
> them all before a RELENG_7 is created.

I don't understand that part. We don't support binary compatibility with
binaries compiled for -CURRENT or pre-release libraries, do we? Bumping
it now would allow using 6-STABLE binaries on -CURRENT, which is my main
point here. If we ever break ABI in -CURRENT later on not a big deal,
because no vendor should compile its production binaries for -CURRENT
anyway.

-Maxim