Re: [head tinderbox] failure on sparc64/sun4v

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:37:39 -0500
John Baldwin wrote:

> What I mean there is that there is a simple refcount_*() API wrapper in
> sys/refcount.h that uses atomic ops on ints to safely manage reference
> counts, and I would prefer the code to use refcount_*() instead of
> atomic_*() directly if it fits as atomics can be tricky to manage
> sometimes.

I need to think on this a bit.. the code is common
to several platforms.. and this will take a bit of
fore-thought to make sure we get it right if we move
to something else besides the atomic_xxxx ops.

There are also some where we do similar things to what
the mbuf cluster freeing does with atomic_cmpset... etc.
Simple refcnt's won't help there.. there are others that
are not so... let me look through the macro's and see
what I can come up with :-)

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)