libpthread vs libthr.

From: Nikolay Pavlov <quetzal_at_zone3000.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:12:47 +0200
Hi. In this post i am not trying to raise a discussion about teoretical
advantages of some special threading model, but still i would like to
figure out why libthr in it current state is not our default posix
thread library and could it be so in time of 7-STABLE?

As a user and administrator of FreeBSD i want to mention some benefits
of libthr:

1. It's simpler.
2. It's stable and has been used by many of us for a long time.
3. It proved to be very productive on real world applications.
4. It has active talented developers.
5. If it was a default library it would couse a incrase of users
feedback which would lead to futher improvement of it's code by the time
7 becomes a stable branch.

And some flaws of libpthread:

1. It's more difficult.
2. It's slow in compare of libthr.
3. The last, but the worst. IMHO the position under which libpthread is
the library by default is the source of a bad myth that threading model
in FreeBSD sucks and threading applications is slow. If 7.0 had libthr
as a default posix threads library we could brake that belief.

This point of view may seem one-sided that is why someone with good
knowledge of the current state of code could tell other pros and cons
of both libraries.

Another interesting question is which of the libraries will better work
with multikernel and multiprocessor systems which will be very popular
by the time 7.0 branch launches its stable releases.

- Best regards, Nikolay Pavlov. <<<-----------------------------------