Slimtype DVDRW SOSw-833S/VRS2 ATA/ATAPI

From: Olivier Régnier <regnier.olivier_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:04:17 +0100
Hello,

I'm running on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p10 and i would like to listen a
music cd, to look a dvd film or to burn a cd data but i can't do that.
The material is new. Here some information about it:

- Acer Aspire 3002WLMI
- Mobile AMD Sempron processor 2800+
- 15.4 WXGA wide TFT LCD
- 60GB HDD
- DVD-Dual (Support DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+RW)
- 512MB DDR
- 802.11b/g wireless LAN

To use my DVD/CD burner, i compiled my kernel with these parameters:

# ---------------
# Kernel.
# ---------------

options        CD9660	      # ISO 9660 Filesystem

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device	        atapicd		# ATAPI CDROM drives

# SCSI peripherals
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device		da		  # Direct Access (disks)

# ATAPI/CAM
device          atapicam

if you looks the dmesg file, i obtain these lines:

acd0: DVDR <Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S/VRS2> at ata1-master UDMA33
acd0: FAILURE - PREVENT_ALLOW timed out
acd0: FAILURE - PREVENT_ALLOW timed out
acd0: FAILURE - READ_SUBCHANNEL timed out
acd0: FAILURE - PAUSE ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0xb9 ascq=0x00

Well, after i activated the dma for the dvd/cd burner with this line in
my loader.conf:

hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

After the new kernel is installed, and the system is rebooted, i
modified my devfs.conf file
with the good permissions, i think:

perm pass0 0666
perm xpt0 0666
perm acd0 0666
perm cd0 0666

link acd0 cdrom
link acd0 dvd
link acd0 dvdr

then, i tested my dvd/cd burner with xmms. I push on the play button,
the cdrom engages and after 1 second, more nothing. Second test, i used
mplayer to look my dvd film and nothing. I don't know what happened with it.
Perhaps FreeBSD doesn't support my Slimtype DVDRW ? But if i use the
atacontrol list command, i have this:

ATA channel 1:
       Master: acd0 <Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S/VRS2> ATA/ATAPI revision 5
       Slave:            no device present

It is terrible, when you cannot use your material. With Microsoft
Windows, I do not have any problem and on the same laptop. Estranged no
? But i want to stay on FreeBSD to find a solution. My situation is
delicate.

Could you help me about this ?

Thank you very much.

Olivier Regnier.