Re: now from way-out in left field

From: Freddie Cash <fcash_at_ocis.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:29:44 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, November 13, 2006 8:50 am, Steve Franks wrote:
> So I know you can open up 4 or more virtual desktops in X.  And I
> know you can open up any number of terminals.  But I sort of like the
> nice clean look and feel of a plain old vtty for many tasks.

> Unfortuately, X, it would seem, steals all the F-keys, and the screen
> it would seem. Is there any slight of hand I can do to switch between
> X on vtty1 and my other enabled vtty's?  I've also had KDE lock up
> solid (as I result I'm evaluating gnome), and that would be a good
> method to fix things, instead of the power switch, I would think.
> Obviously, I've marked myself as a noob, and not to step on toes, but
> ctrl-alt-del on winNT's generally does get one the task manager,
> unless you are bluescreened. If I'm on a tty I feel reasonalby sure I
> can kill anything locked. Unfortunately, the modern world needs X
> sometimes, lynx only goes so far, but then I'm at X's mercy, follow
> me?  Ok, I'll shut up now. Have mercy on my opinions ;)

To switch terminals at the console, you can use either ALT+Fx or
CTRL+ALT+Fx (where x is 1 through the number of terminals configured,
usually 8).

To switch to a terminal while in X, you can only use CTRL+ALT+Fx.  And
to switch back to X you can use either ALT+Fx or CTRL+ALT+Fx, where x
is one higher than the number of configured terminals, usually 9).

----
Freddie Cash
fcash_at_ocis.net