Re: DESTDIR problems ...

From: Vincent Blondel <vincent_at_xtra-net.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:22:43 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, November 30, 2006 08:50, Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:15:10PM +0100, Vincent Blondel wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I just finalized a Makefile making a complete apache jail machine. For
> this I used a common
>
> 'make DESTDIR=jail_path install clean'
>

> But I noticed this does not work with all ports. For info, these packages
>  give me problems perl5.8 m4 p5-Locale-gettext autoconf259 apache20.
>
> Nevertheless, I found a workaround by first making a package and install
> it after in the jail machine.
>
> For example, I noticed 'install phase' (apache20) makes problems with
> variable PREFIX that is not defined with PREFIX=DESTDIR+PREFIX. This is
> just an example but there are others.
>
> Can somebody say me if these problems are known, if these bugs are being
> solved  ??

This was sent to the wrong list; the freebsd-ports mailing list
is --> that way.

Anyway, DESTDIR support is incomplete and further work seems to have
stalled.  The easiest thing to do is either

a) mount the ports tree inside your jail (e.g using nullfs) and build
it "as normal"

I tried earlier to mount some nfs shares but I saw on the net this does
not seem possible from within a jail.

I did not know it was possible with nullfs fs. I will try it and this is
sure a solution for my problem.

b) Use precompiled packages within your jail, e.g. from the FTP site
using pkg_add -r or 'make package' outside the jail.

this is not always easy to add precompiled ports when I have to be
asolutely sure all paramaters I'd like to have are well included in this
package ... like PAM, SASL, GSSAPI, LDAP, KRB5.

Furthermore, I do not think there are some precompiled packages for ports
like JDK.

Kris
Many thanks Kris, Vincent.