Re: segmentation fault(s) after upgrading to CURRENT

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 13:21:12 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Dominic Marks wrote:

>> I have just upgraded from FreeBSD_6 STABLE to FreeBSD_7 CURRENT (about
>> time I did some testing / early adoption I thought).
>>
>> [12:49]chrisp_at_valhalla ~ % uname -a
>> FreeBSD valhalla.systems.hq.inty.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1:
>> Thu Oct  5 09:38:09 BST 2006
>> chrisp_at_valhalla.systems.hq.inty.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VALHALLA  i386
>>
>> My 'VALHALLA' kernel is a copy of 'GENERIC', but with
>> RAID/SCSI/FIREWIRE/ISA_NICs removed.
>>
>> I have completed the upgrade but now I see many of the programs I run, are
>> core dumping...
>
> Rebuild them. From what I can see they mostly look to be threaded apps. You
> might find that doing a fresh install of CURRENT is a better idea in future.
> Although I suppose then you wouldn't be testing the upgrade path.

Unfortunately, the upgrade path will remain fairly broken with respect to
compiled applications outside of the base system until we have a compat6
library set (and possibly more versioning work on libraries?).  Some libraries
have now been bumped, but not all, and as a result older applications may find
themselves linked against libraries with differing ABIs from each other --
i.e., a 6-STABLE libc left over from before your update and a 7-CURRENT
libutil (random example), which can result in application crashes.  This will
presumably get resolved before we get anywhere close to a release, but in the
mean time, it is advisable to rebuild all applications when going from an
earlier branch to the 7.x branch, or when jumping forward significantly on the
branch.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge