Re: ASUS U5F hangs during pci bus probe

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:29:14 -0700
Yuriy Tsibizov wrote this message on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:48 +0400:

> > to the new
> > > have posted
> > it, I'll send
> >
> > Yes, it keeps running in "for (; !end;)" loop forever. I'll
> > have access
> > to this notebook till friday evening.
>
> Just checked it today morning - it cannot start Ethernet adapter after
> last reboot...
> It lists it in POST message, but
> 1) don't start PXE firmware
> 2) can't see it with pre-installed Windows (It show unknown Ethernet,
> with vendor 10ec dev 8129 subsys 812911ec revision 01). It's PCI express
> network card, according to POST message.
> 3) link is active
>
> I have two more noteboks (same model),  but don't want to kill their
> Ethernet adapters.

So, are you saying that after using the fixed patch, booting into
FreeBSD (getting to login), that the Windows no longer attached to the
on board ethernet adapter?  Considering that this patch doesn't even
touch the read-write data, I can't imagine it breaking something, unless
the driver and other code can't handle the VPD registers being touched...
But if that's the case, then the Windows driver needs to be fixed since
there are no guaranties what the VPD registers will be...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579