Re: Resolver not always resolving hostnames

From: Jiawei Ye <leafy7382_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:50:56 +0800
On 10/23/06, Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu <itetcu_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:18:02 -0700
> Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > Andy Fawcett wrote:
> >
> > > I'm only seeing this effect (or maybe only noticing it) with
> > > csup/cvsup. Could be coincidence though.
> >
> > Hrrm, it's odd that it affects both csup _and_ cvsup, since the
> > former is written in C, and links natively against our libraries. I'm
> > wondering if we're seeing a situation where the name servers that
> > those hostnames are delegated to are just taking a long time to
> > respond, and neither app is patient enough. I think it would be an
> > interesting experiment to see what happens if you increase the retry
> > timeout.
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this problem with other applications? Simon,
> > I'll address your problems with host(1) in a separate mail.
>
> I'm seeing it with squid.
>

> --
> IOnut - Un^d^dregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"
>   "Intellectual Property" is   nowhere near as valuable   as "Intellect"
>
> BOFH excuse #212:
> Of course it doesn't work, we've performed a software upgrade

I am still seeing this on a fairly recent -current

[ leafy_at_sh-mail ~] $ tail -f update.log
2006年10月24日 周二 09時48分51秒 CST
>>> Running /usr/bin/csup
Name lookup failure for "cvsup12.FreeBSD.org": Non-recoverable failure
in name resolution
Will retry at 09:54:17

The second try succeeds.

Jiawei Ye

--
"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
then to the end user it's a duck, and end users have made it pretty