Re: Resolver not always resolving hostnames

From: Jiawei Ye <leafy7382_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:24:06 +0800
On 10/24/06, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> leafy7382> This is much better. It would be great if this is commited.
>
> I've committed it into 7-CURRENT, and I'll MFC it into RELENG_6 after
> 3 days.
>
> The fix should help in certain case.  However, it seems doesn't help
> for nork-san's case.  He could reproduce it, and sent me his ktrace
> output.  As far as I can see his output, his local name server (BIND
> 9.3.2-P1) returned the response with no answer record.  As a result,
> his csup ended up with following error:
>
>         Name lookup failure for "cvsup.jp.freebsd.org": hostname nor
>         servname provided, or not known
>
> I suspect that the BIND9's named have some problem.
>
>        "Name lookup failure for "cvsup.jp.freebsd.org": hostname nor servname \
>         provided, or not known
>        "
> Sincerely,
>
> --
> Hajimu UMEMOTO _at_ Internet Mutual Aid Society Yokohama, Japan
You are correct, I just ran into that a few times in the last hour.
But it is a lot less frequent than before. I also run a local BIND9
for our company. I think some commits happening after between Sept 30
and Oct 15th caused it, because I did not see such symptom before late
Sept and I rebuilt my system around mid Oct.

Best regards,

Jiawei
--
"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
then to the end user it's a duck, and end users have made it pretty