Re: HEADSUP: KSE about to become a kernel option

From: John Birrell <jb_at_what-creek.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:33:30 +0000
[ replying to myself ]

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:33:43PM +0000, John Birrell wrote:
> If you use a GENERIC kernel, then this change won't affect you
> because the KSE option will be on by default in GENERIC on
> all arches/machines except sun4v (which doesn't handle signals
> properly with the KSE code in the kernel).

scottl persuaded me to add the KSE option to DEFAULTS on all
arches/machines (except sun4v) to avoid causing the same problem
that the io/mem change from default to optional caused.

This means that ou will get KSE by default in your kernel (as
before it was an option) _unless_ you use add 'nooption KSE'
to your kernel config.

This isn't my preferred solution because it makes it too
transparent, however scottl's point is that unnecessary grief
will be caused if the change isn't completely transparent.

Sorry for the confusion.

And BTW, the commits are all in current now...and coming to
a cvsup server near you.

--
John Birrell