Re: Asus A8V hangs during pci probe on fresh-CURRENT

From: Nicolas Blais <nb_root_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:27:47 -0500
On Monday 30 October 2006 19:20, Doug Barton wrote:
> Nicolas Blais wrote:
> > Agree with you on that one. Though when my hardware fails, whether or not
> > it is due to overclocking or normal failure, I do not mind just replacing
> > the hardware. I run several machines, some of which are extremely
> > overclocked and most of them are running FreeBSD. A big part of my work
> > is experimenting stresses, in many ways.
>
> I actually hadn't intended that as a cautionary tale, what I meant was
> that you might be experiencing hardware problems even if you reduce
> the clock speed.
>
> Doug

No harm done :)

I saw that pci.c was updated today (to version 1.318) and I decided to give it
a try. As expected, it did not work, so I kept my /usr/src in sync, but
reverted pci.c to 1.292.2.9 and my system booted fine!

By diff'ing with 1.315
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/pci.c.diff?f=H&r1=text&tr1=1.292.2.9&r2=text&tr2=1.315)
we can find there's obviously something in the vpd code that my system
doesn't like, or that the vpd code doesn't like something about my system ;).

Nicolas.

--
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #8: Mon Oct 30 22:16:40 EST 2006
root_at_clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A