Re: suggested addition to 'date'

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:04:49 -0400
At 1:08 PM -0700 9/1/06, Julian Elischer wrote:

>Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>>Note that the main objection to this option (at least from my
>>point of view) is that date should not be going into filter
>>mode.  Not ever.  Date is a command to set or display dates.
>>It is not a command to filter files.  'cat' would be a more
>>appropriate place to add this option.
>

>well that's your opinion and it's as arbitrary as mine is..

Yes.  I am only expressing my opinion, as I am entitled to do.

What happens wrt the code in the freebsd repository depends on
the combined opinion of members, aka "voting".  This is my vote.
It is a perfectly good option to have in 'cat', but it seems
out-of-place to turn the 'date' command into a filter.

Others in the project can express their own votes, whatever
those votes may be.  If there are a fair number of votes for
adding this option to the 'date' command, then certainly I
will be happy with that result.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn_at_rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org