Re: atapi/IDE DVD problem

From: Josh Carroll <josh.carroll_at_psualum.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 18:37:03 -0700
Further debugging, and probably something I should have done FIRST,
reveals that this is a DMA problem.

Setting:

hw.ata.atapi_dma=0

in /boot/loader.conf works around the problem.

I found a thread where Søren fixed a problem with atapi DMA back in
January/February (and the patch looks like it was merged at some
point):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-January/060236.html

I believe I'm having a problem with this JMicron controller because
it's not being identified as a legacy device by the ata_legacy
function. The only reason I can think of for this is that it's a 3rd
party card and showing up as:

atapci0_at_pci2:0:0:

In pciconf -l -v output. I don't know if it's entirely related
(indirectly perhaps?) to the IRQ of the ata controller, but in my case
it's on irq16 not irq14 or irq15.

Is there a quick workaround for this? Or am I stuck without DMA on the
DVD drive until Søren has time to work on the full solution mentioned
in the thread above?

Thanks and sorry for all the replies. I figured the more info I can
provide, the easier it is to help.

Regards,
Josh