Re: Adding a '-D date' option to `cat'

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:06:31 +0200 (CEST)
--------
Sam Leffler wrote:
> Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>
> > I intend to commit this within a few days, unless there are major
> > objections to it.  I am posting this HEADSUP under a new subject,
> > so people can dump all kinds of paint over me before I commit it.
>
> I have ignored all the subsequent postings about modifying date to add
> completely new functionality that is utterly unrelated to it's purpose
> in life.  From the looks of this posting it appears you've chosen cat as
> the new victim for this functionality.  This again is wrong; cat is a
> filter that concatenates streams of data and does not modify their contents.
>
> I think committing any changes of the sort are wrong-headed and totally
> contrary to the way UNIX was designed.  If you want a program that acts
> as a filter and adds a timestamp to each line of input it receives
> create a new one.  I even have a name for this program: stamp.
>
>       Sam

Agreed. More crud in cat would be bad.
Too much already (line numbering).
I've known Cat since V6, it's supposed to be light & small
Fancy stuff better elsewhere, eg `pr'

PS This probably won't make it to list, as I'm fixing my SASL auth,
& my masquerade will prob. fail & not match sub'd address.
--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.           Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.