Re: Adding a '-D date' option to `cat'

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:00:10 -0700
Julian Elischer wrote:

> then there will be a bikeshed about adding a new tool

... which can safely be ignored, even if it occurs, because creating new
and potentially useful tools always creates less drama then mucking about
with old (or really old) ones. I haven't heard anyone say, "No such
functionality should exist in FreeBSD," but I have heard several people
say "Don't bastardize the Unix model." I even like Sam's proposed name.

> Date could have had this feature added in 20 lines of C.
> you'd rather create a whole new beaurocracy.

What would be really useful here is if the people who want this could
focus on the end result (having the tool you need to do the job) rather
than the methodology of achieving that result. The door is open, walk
through it.

Doug