Re: Adding a 'D - Date' option to 'cat'

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:30:33 +0200 (CEST)
Garance A Drosihn wrote:
 > Bill Vermillion wrote:
 > >
 > > That's pretty much the basic Unix philosophy - a lot of small
 > > programs that can be chained together to do almost anything you can
 > > imagine, instead of putting all the POSSIBLE needed options into
 > > each program that MAY or MAY NOT need it.
 >
 > Well, the proposed option to `cat' is already dead, but just
 > as an aside:
 >
 > Notice what happens when some issue like this comes up.  The
 > unix philosophy is supposedly to champion lots of small utility
 > programs.  An issue like Julian's comes up, where no *small*,
 > well-designed utility can get the job done.  What does everyone
 > suggest?  Why, "Just load up a turing-complete multi-megabyte
 > executable like Perl [which FreeBSD won't even include in the
 > base OS because it's too much of a hassle], and then write/debug
 > your own perl script which can handle your job!".

Gnu-awk is about 150 KB in size (which isn't huge, IMHO),
and adding timestamps with it is a trivial one-liner.

Admittedly it is not in the FreeBSD base system anymore
(unfortunately), but adding it from ports or packages is
only a matter of a few seconds.  I'm using it all the time.

Best regards
   Oliver

"It combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion different
sublanguages in one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C
with the readability of PostScript."
        -- Jamie Zawinski, when asked: "What's wrong with perl?"