Re: Removing ports based on library dependency

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:47:06 +1000
On Mon, 2006-Sep-11 20:09:34 +0100, Alex Burke wrote:
>I want to upgrade one of my FreeBSD boxes running 6.0 to CURRENT. I
>know that this involves rebuilding ports so they link against
>libc.so.7 and all associated libraries.

I'll second Doug's suggestion of "delete the lot and re-install what
you really want".  I'll add a few comments though:  A number of ports
will build differently depending on the ports that exist when they
are compiled (mozilla and xmms come to mind here).  There are also
a variety of ports where different versions are available that are
functionally similar (so any version would satisfy dependencies).
If you want to install particular subordinate ports (eg you have
a MySQL database of a particular version), you should probably
explicitly install them, rather than rely on root/leaf port
dependencies.

--
Peter Jeremy