Re: nanobsd and -current

From: Daniel Gerzo <danger_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:10:54 +0200
Hello Julian,

> I'm looking at trying to make a -current nanobsd image I can put on a
> USB dongle.

> Looking at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/nanobsd/howto.html

> Using the config file example in the web site fails with

> /usr/obj/nanobsd.julian//_.w/usr/lib/libl.a ->
> /usr/obj/nanobsd.julian//_.w/usr/lib/libln.a
> ln: /usr/obj/nanobsd.julian//_.w/usr/lib/libln.a: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1

Not sure about this, try to ask phk_at_ maybe.

> has anyone used it recently?

> also, the docs are not very helpful in how to cut down the size of the image

> the example uses a lot of lines such as:
> NO_MODULES=YES

> is there a place where all these can be found?

make.conf(5) manual page I would say.

> I've looked in make.conf and /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 but there doesn't
> seem to be an
> exhaustive list anywhere.

> I want to slim it down to fit on a 64 MB usb key but it's not immediatly
> how to do this from the 'docs'
> I'm resorting to reading the scripts and then the Makefiles but if
> anyone has this alreay all written down somewhere
> that would be good.

I think that triming it down to 64mb will be a bit of "fun", since I
think you will have to create some custom functions to remove all the
unneeded binaries from the image.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                            mailto:danger_at_FreeBSD.org