Re: KDE & OpenSSL 0.9.8 in -CURRENT

From: David Nugent <davidn_at_datalinktech.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:46:05 +1000
Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Like Nicolas wrote, I'm unable to run -CURRENT right now, so if anyone
> *has* a sufficiently clean 7-CURRENT, that is with no openssl ports
> installed and no old openssl-0.9.7 libraries left in the file system,
> I'd appreciate some confirmation that KDE and its openssl-sensitive
> parts (https in Konqueror, ssl/tls connections in kmail, kwallet,
> kopete) are working okay on that system.

FreeBSD atomant 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #9: Mon Aug 21 12:07:31
EST 2006     davidn_at_atomant:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATOMANT  i386

No openssl port installed.
All ports rebuilt since the libc bump.

konq/ssl, kmail, kwallet all work just fine, uptime is 28 days.

My experience with building and using the SSL port is that causes
cascading and very annoying problems in ports management and not just
with KDE. Fortunately I've not encountered nor used anything that
required the version from ports so I avoid installing it and the
headaches it brings.