Re: VFS(?) weirdness

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:27:39 +0400
On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 03:09:53PM +0100, David Malone wrote:
D> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 05:37:02PM +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
D> >   Dear collegues,
D> >
D> >   I've got a box running HEAD where a strange bug is observed. The below
D> > script always returns on this box:
D> >
D> > pwd: .: Permission denied
D>
D> I've tried this on a current machine (as of Sept 16th) and don't
D> see the same thing.

Yep, this box is the only one I observe the bug on. :( I've observed
it last few months, and I update to HEAD weekly. Moreover, the
/home/glebius directory on thix box is NFS exported and mounted on
another box as /home/glebius. On this other box (NFS client) I run th
 test successfully from /home/glebius, while on NFS server it fails.

D> I'd guess this is somehow related to the fact that removing a
D> directory flushes the nami cache for things related to that directory's
D> parent. This probably results in the kernel getcwd failing and it
D> falling back to the userland getcwd code, which needs to read and
D> stat every directory above you in the filesystem tree. Do you have
D> a directory further up your path that isn't readable/statable?

Yes. I can reproduce it in my home, or in /tmp. All upper directories
are readable.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE