Re: Does OpenOffice work on -current ?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:28:44 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Randall Stewart wrote:

> It appears that the java from the FreeBSD foundation always core dumps.. and
> is a binary for 6.1.. if I put jdk-14 from sun in.. no coredumps when you do
> java -version but I hit this same compile error.. exactly..

I believe the FreeBSD Foundation Java binary problem has to do with a partial
library version bump in -CURRENT, where libc has been bumped, but other
libraries haven't, and the binary depends on the old libc, which is presumably
not compatible with the other newer libraries it's also pulling in.  The
Foundation is not yet doing certified JDK/JRE builds for 7.x, although we will
cut certified builds for 6.2.  I don't know what the right library version fix
is for the base system -- Java is presumably not the only affected binary --
but it's not my area so that's ok. :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge