Re: bge/bce support for another Dell card

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:52:07 -0500
On 09/21/06 13:19, David Christensen wrote:
>> We've got a brand new Dell Precision 390 (Core 2 Duo) which has a
>> Broadcom NIC in it, Probably much like the one in the PowerEdge 1950,
>> but cheaper and less reliable (if you can imagine that).
>> It's doesn't
>> seem to be supported yet on the 6-STABLE branch, and so I'm
>> wondering if
>> we would have better luck with -CURRENT, or if the PCI ID's
>> just need to
>> be mapped out, etc.
>
> The PowerEdge servers use the 5708 controller which is supported
> by the bce driver.
>
>> Here's the pciconf output for that card:
>>
>> none2_at_pci4:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x01de1028
>> chip=0x167a14e4 rev=0x02
>> hdr=0x00
>>      vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
>>      class    = network
>>      subclass = ethernet
>>

>> I see a line in the bge driver (sys/dev/bge/if_bgereg.h), like:
>>
>> #define BCOM_DEVICEID_BCM5754           0x167A
>>
>> But I believe it's a BCM5787, and when the bge driver loads,
>> the system
>> panics because of (excude my vagueness here - I'll get the details
>> tomorrow) some kind of NMI memory checksum failure, but the device is
>> fine, tests ok, and runs perfectly under other OS'es.
>>
>> Is that device supposed to be supported yet on -STABLE or -CURRENT?
>
> The 5787 has a device ID of 0x169b.  The 0x167a is used on the 5754.

Right you are - it's the PHYS remark in a linux boot message that
mentioned 5787, sorry for the confusion.

FreeBSD then correctly identifies the card, and loads the if_bge driver,
but that panics the system.  I tried to get a snap of the output, but
the data was so garbled, it was useless.  I can try again tomorrow.
Anything you'd like to see in particular?

Thanks!
Eric