Re: kqueue disable on delivery...

From: Igor Sysoev <is_at_rambler-co.ru>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:40:33 +0400 (MSD)
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Igor Sysoev wrote this message on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 17:25 +0400:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>>
>>> I have implemented a couple additional features to kqueue.  These allow
>>> kqueue to be a multithreaded event delivery system that can guarantee
>>> that the event will only be active in one thread at any time.
>>>
>>> The first is EV_DOD, aka disable on delivery.  When the event will be
>>> delivered to userland, the knote is marked disabled so we don't
>>> have to go through the expense of reallocing the knote each time.
>>> (Reallocation of the knote is also lock intensive, and disabling is
>>> cheap.)
>>
>> In my opinion, it's too implementation specific flag.
>
> How else are you doing to solve having multiple threads servicing
> the same queue at the same time?  Also, Apple is planing on having
> a similar flag to EV_DOD, but I don't know what they are naming it..
> I've tried for a while to find out, but haven't been able to...

As I understand EV_DOD or EV_CLEAR|EV_DOD are like simple EV_ONESHOT,
except the filter is not deleted on delivery, but is disabled skipping
some in-kernel lock overhead. That's I'd named it too implementation
specific.

Yes, the EV_CLEAR|EV_DOD guarantees that the event will be active
in one thread only at any time. But in my practice I saw there is
necessity to guarantee that the socket (both events - EVFILT_READ
and EVFILT_WRITE) will be active in one thread only at any time.
It seems that is the reason why heavy threaded Solaris 10 event ports
use the oneshot only model where a socket is deleted from port on delivery.

>>> Even though this means that the event will only ever be active in a
>>> thread at a time, (when you're done handling the event, you reenable
>>> it), removing the event from the queue outside the event handler (say
>>> a timeout handler for the connection) poses to be a problem.  If you
>>> simply close the socket, the event disappears, but then there is a
>>> race between another event being created with the same socket, and
>>> notification of the handler that you want the event to stop.
>>>
>>> In order to handle that situation, I have come up w/ EV_FORCEOS, aka
>>> FORCE ONE_SHOT.  EV_ONESHOT events have the advantage that once queued,
>>> they don't care if they have been activated or not, they will be returned
>>> the next round.  This means that the timeout handler can safely set
>>> EV_FORCEOS on the handler, and either if it's _DISABLED (handler running
>>> and will reenable it), or it's _ENABLED, it will get dispatched, allowing
>>> the handler to detect the EV_FORCEOS flag and teardown the connection.
>>
>> I think it should be EVFILT_USER event, allowing to
>> EV_SET(&kev, fd, EVFILT_USER, 0, 0, 0, udata);
>> and the event should automatically sets the EV_ONESHOT flag internally.
>
> I'll agree EV_FORCEOS is open for discussion, but you did see how much
> code it adds right?  I was surprised at how small the patch was for the
> additional functionality..

Yes, EV_FORCEOS is small patch. However, EVFILT_USER is more generic
(by the way, Solaris 10 event ports allow to send user-specific
PORT_SOURCE_USER notification).

Two years ago I was implementing threads for my server nginx
on FreeBSD 4.x, using rfork(). In the absence of EVFILT_USER I made
the condition variables using kill() and EV_SIGNAL and this user-level
code may panic kernel.

> What happens if you are in the process of tearing down udata when
> this happens, but you haven't gotten far enough to drop it?  Then
> you'd have to deal w/ possible lock inversions between the timeout
> list and your object lock, deal w/ flags on the object and ref counts..
>
> With _DOD and _FORCEOS, you are able to continue to not require special
> state flags, locks nor reference counting on your objects serviced by
> kqueue...
>
> I wrote this code in anticipation of supporting sun4v boxes where it'd
> be useful to have 32 threads (or more) servicing a single kqueue...

You still need user locks to guarantee that the socket will be active
in one thread only at any time. In proxy mode you still need locks
to guarantee that two sockets will be active in one thread only.
If you assemble your response from several proxied servers, then
you need locks to guarantee that all these sockets will be active
in one thread only.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/