Re: FreeBSD ?

From: Peter Ross <Peter.Ross_at_alumni.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:15:44 +1000 (EST)
Hi,

while not sure where to move this question (-questions may be the
appropriate list?)

I think this isn't true:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, jamesfrancistoy_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Freebsd is an entirely separate operating system from pc-bsd and
> desktop-bsd ... You will have to compile your own upgrades...and the
> drivers are specific meaning it depends on which chipset / logic board
> you are trying to support

Both projects are based on FreeBSD, and AFAIK they do not change anything
"near" the kernel (e.g. no drivers).

While PC-BSD is based on FreeBSD 6-stable, Desktop-BSD is still using 5.5.

Both projects are dedicated to the desktop users. Desktop-BSD adds
some management tools so basic configuration becomes easier but uses the
same ports/packages structure "normal" FreeBSD uses. PC-BSD adds an
graphical install tool and has its own package format.

Usually both projects do not require "compiling your own upgrades".

Honestly, as a systems engineer I am not the right person to recommend
desktop systems. My laptop (a Latitude X1) runs FreeBSD-current but it is
not even fully utilised yet. I just use it as a ssh terminal switch, mail
reader, webbrowser and to compile stuff.. so I install the x11/gnome2
metaport.

Regards
Peter