Re: LSI 1030 mpt doesn't work if I build a new kernel

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+fbsd_at_les.ath.cx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:01:59 +0900
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:06:11PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> Um- I'm still trying to find a real error here. The bootverbose simply
> lists selection failures for devices that don't exist. Other than
> that, I cannot see what you are claiming is an error.

No, they don't contain error message, they're just there to hopefully give
you hints about our hardware (and I couldn't find a way to include the real
error message in the dmesg output without hitting the panic at that time :).
The real visible problems are:

- random I/O errors during disk activity; buildworld almost immediately
  terminates because of the error.  sometimes it leads to a panic in
  softupdates code.

- error messages to the console:
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): CAM Status 0x34
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): CAM Status 0x34
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): error 5
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): Retries Exhausted
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): error 5
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): Retries Exhausted
  (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): error 5

If I raise dev.mpt.0.debug from 4(the default) to a higher value than 5,
the above errors stop popping up,  although it spams the message buffer.
Changing it to 5 doesn't seem to change the amount of the message the
driver spews.

Regards.