Re: Much improved sosend_*() functions

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:07:26 +0100 (BST)
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Andre Oppermann wrote:

>> I like the concept of these changes in principle -- this is the reason I
>> broke out sosend_copyin(), so that we could start plugging bits of the send
>> routines more easily for optimization.  However, I think we need to review
>> this really carefully.  A casual glance brought up one question, and I hope
>> to get a chance to review this in detail in the next few days.  The
>> question is with regard to the 'space' variable.  When breaking out
>> sosend_copyin(), I originally simply passed space in as an argument, which
>> is what you do currently.  However, I found I had to change it to pass in
>> the variable by reference so that it could be updated, as later portions of
>> sosend() depend on it being updated in order to figure out what flags to
>> pass to pru_send() with respect to PRUS_MORETOCOME, as well as for the
>> (resid && space > 0) condition for the main loop.  In your revised version,
>> 'space' isn't updated in sosend() after calling m_uiotombuf(), which on a
>> casual read, suggests that PRUS_MORETOCOME will no longer get set on the
>> last pass into pru_send(), and that the loop may go an extra time and pass
>> more data into TCP than there is room in the socket send buffer.  I may be
>> reading wrong, I've not had time to look in any detail, but that was my
>> experience, so you may find you need to pass send by reference, as I do in
>> sosend_copyin(), for the same reason.
>
> Your observation is correct.  The variable 'space' is no longer updated with
> my changes.  For sosend_dgram() this is of no consequence as PRUS_
> MORETOCOME can't ever be true.  For datagrams the uio must not contain more
> data than we have space left in the socket buffer.  Otherwise we fail with
> EMSGSIZE.  For sosend_generic() PRUS_MORETOCOME is no longer correctly set
> with my changes.  For TCP this is of no consequence either as TCP doesn't
> care about it.  For correctness I'll change my patch to update 'space' in
> sosend_generic() and remove the PRUS_MORETOCOME flag from sosend_dgram()
> completely.

Are you sure TCP doesn't care?  I thought it used PRUS_MORETOCOME as a hint to
determine whether to immediately output or wait for small segments, but admit
to never having read the code in detail.  Also, 'space' is not just about
PRUS_MORETOCOME, it's also about the loop terminating at the right time.

I'll try to give your revised patch a closer reading this weekend.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge