Re: lockf in installworld -- not a good idea

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:27:47 +0100 (BST)
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Warner Losh wrote:

>> For what its worth.... I'd go with just stopping support for -j in
>> installworld, even if things are CPU bound.
>
> installworld should *NEVER* be done -j.  Ever.  That wasn't part of the
> installworld bargin when it was started.  There's no point to it at all.
> As such, any support to make it work should be removed with extreme
> prejustice.  Why on earth would you want to do installworld -j?

I wouldn't doubt that it's at least marginally faster, possibly a bit faster,
but I think I come down pretty firmly on the side of "let's make installworld
as simple and reliable as possible" -- breaking in the middle of installworld
can have messy consequences, and we should minimize the chances of that as
much as possible.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge