Re: CFT: new trunk(4)

From: Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 21:28:30 +1200
On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:17:29AM +0200, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > Here is a patch to add OpenBSD's trunk(4) interface, and also includes
> > LACP support which came from agr(4) on NetBSD.  Im interested in anyone
> > who wants to test this and in particular lacp mode if you have a switch
> > that supports it.
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~thompsa/if_trunk-20070330b.diff
>
> This looks very interesting.  I'm busy testing with a switch that
> claims 802.3ad support.
>
> We're making extensive use of vlans to increase the number of
> interfaces availabble to us using switches to break out gigE into
> 100M interfaces.  The bandwidth problem we're having is to our
> provider, a 100M connection, and we're looking at doing exactly
> this.  However, it appears that this interface can't trunk vlan
> interfaces.

It sounds like you want it the other way around. The trunk should be the
lowest component in any setup so you should vlan the trunk interface
rather than trunk a vlan.

ifconfig trunk0 create
ifconfig vlan0 vlan 10 vlandev trunk0

(or use ifconfig trunk0.10 create which is a better syntax)

regards,
Andrew