Re: Do we need this junk?

From: Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 12:56:35 -0500
On 4/5/07, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> wrote:
> "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton_at_gmail.com> writes:
> > Can anything in the list below be removed from CURRENT?
>
> No.  Modern i386 and amd64 still have an ISA bus, and devices
> connected to that bus, even if they don't have ISA slots.

What you speak of is the LPC bus. LPC is intended to be a
motherboard-only bus. No connector is defined, and no LPC peripheral
daughterboards are available.

So I come back to the question of why we have external devices from
1987 still floating around in the kernel and more importantly why
these devices are enabled by default in the GENERIC kern conf?

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/industry/25128901.pdf