Re: Ports upgrade

From: David Stanford <dthomas53_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:56:19 -0400
> So, I wanted to update my ports.
> I ran:
>
> > portsnap fetch update
>
> But after running portversion I noticed several ports were still older
> than the current.
> So I ran:
>
> > portsdb -U
>
> After which, nonetheless, portversion shows the same ports as before
> being
> older than the current.
>
> What am I missing?

I think you may be confusing the purpose of these two utilities. portsnap is
used to update your ports tree (/usr/ports directory). 'portsdb -U' will
update your ports INDEX. Neither of these actually updates the software you
have installed on your system; for that you can try portupgrade
(ports-mgmt/portupgrade).

-David
--
[root_at_fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.